Monday, June 22, 2009

"Teacher, how did they draw those pictures?"

I like to try and start posts with a catchy phrase that will draw you in and compel you to continue reading: alas, I have none, leading me to just dive right in with the story.  While I do this, I'd like you to pretend that you've just read, instead of this, something completely catchy and mind-blowing and I would like you to get really excited because you KNOW from that completely catchy and mind-blowing sentence that you've just read, that you're in for something FANTASTIC. 

In my English class I had about 12 adult men; some of whom were teachers, two were mayors in Anse-a-Galets, others Compassion representatives, etc.  The curriculum that I was using had approximately 20 lessons in it, which was to cover the entire six months of three classes a week that I had before me, so it was inevitable that I'd have to improvise just a few days.  One of the many improvisational things I did was lug the projector down to the class room and play the mind-blowing Planet Earth dvds that Barry and Beth had. 

One such day in class we were watching the "Pole to Pole" episode, which shows polar bears, ice caps, penguins, etc.  and after class one of my students came up to me and asked, "Teacher, how did they draw those pictures?"  

Confused, I asked "What pictures?" and he responded ,

"The pictures in the movie, how did they draw them so well? They looked real."  

It then occurred to me that this was the first time he had ever seen anything like that - ice, snow, penguins and bears... so I did my best to explain that the pictures were real, that there are parts of the earth that really look like that.  He was baffled.   

Another day I tried to explain that instead of "Cabrit Cabrit Chen" (goat goat dog) we play "Duck Duck Goose" and even after extensive explanation of what a duck and a goose look like and what they could compare them to, they were clueless.  

How small our world is, and yet how big.

No comments: